Monday, April 29, 2013

Tell Me I'm Done.. Swish..

It's been quite sometime since I last posted a blog.  It's not for the lack of topics to dwell with, but likely due to an inordinate impulse to stay put and do nothing.  Lately, I've been active on the hoops circuit, and despite losing a key burst of speed from time to time, I've been enjoying the competition.  I pride myself in being a team-oriented player, a glue-guy if you must pick a positional cliche. However, from time to time, I get a little more offensive-minded, and oftentimes, only when provoked by a good, old-school trash talk.

I usually stay calm during the game, but if you really want me to get started, try pushing one of my buttons and tell me you've seen all of this before, that you're better than me, and most of all, that I'm already way past my prime. The last one might have been true, and for most players who enjoyed a certain level of excellence, admission of such facts is a very hard thing to come to terms with. I'm no superstar that's for sure. I don't have a specific many go-to-move.  The speed that used to be my weapon has long been a thing of the past.  What I have now, is a special set of skills, veteran smarts, and the one thing that's likely never gonna let go of me, my booming self confidence.

I may never have those killer ankle breakers no more, that high degree of difficulty switching hands layup, or that lock down defense (I own this myself :D ), but I can still shoot those damn threes, make that ridiculous behind-the-back pass every now and then, and when invoked, tell you all about it!

I simply love it when they tell me I'm done, and then all they can do is watch the ball kiss off the nets as I swish another one.  Tell me that they'll steal the ball, and either they end up playing touch with my shadows or end up leaving their lips on my shoulders. Try crossing me up, and believe me, if we're on the same speed limits then it's likely that ball's gonna get loose on the break.

Bottom line is, I don't need to brag.  They all know what I can do.  They've seen it before, and still sees it to this day.  It's just like your not-so favorite old movie.  The one that you want to kick every now and then, but somehow still comes back to haunt you.  So I you, tell me I'm done, and I'll let you have the chance to hear this..swish..


1 comment: